Milk cake is a recipe that you can easily prepare at home. Ideally prepared around festivals such as Diwali and Holi, this cake can also be savoured during leisure hours. Although it is available in good quality and at cheap rates in sweet shops, you will never buy it from the shop again once you learn to make it. Kalakand is the Indian name for this cake. Available in brown and white colour, milk and cake have sticky grainy and solid texture.
Although the recipe is very simple, one needs a bit of patience while preparing it. Although the cake looks more of a mithai, it is dense in taste and has a caramel flavour. Whenever you are craving to eat something sweet, you can easily cook this cake at home with essential recipes.
Let us see things required while preparing this milk cake at home:
- Thick milk – 2.5 litres
- Sugar – 4 tablespoons
- Ghee – 4 tablespoons
- Lemon juice – 1 tablespoon
Please follow the following step by step guide to start cooking for the milk cake:
- Take a thick bottom pan and add milk into it. Start boiling over high heat. Keep stirring with a spatula.
- Lower the heat as you see milk boiling. Keep simmering until this milk gets reduced to one-third of its volume. Make sure you continue stirring so that milk doesn’t burn or stick to the sides of the pan. You can use a flat spatula for this purpose to scrap the milk as it boils.
- Once reduced, you may observe grainy fat granules of milk formed in the pan. Lower the heat and add lemon juice to this mixture. Keep stirring. After some time, the little whey will get separated from the milk after milk gets crudled.
- Continue stirring this mixture until the whey evaporates completely.
- Add one tablespoon of sugar and stir well till sugar dissolves in the mixture. Repeat the same procedure after adding the second, third and fourth tablespoon of sugar individually.
- Stir and mix well until sugar gets dissolved completely.
- Cook this mixture till it becomes thick and consistent. Let the moisture evaporate.
- Add one tablespoon of ghee and mix well. Add the other tablespoons as well and continue stirring till it mixes well.
- On medium heat, start cooking. The cake will start leaving the sides of the pan. Its colour will also become brown. You will experience the caramel aroma emerging from the cake.
- Turn off the flame and let this mixture cool down.
- Transfer the mixture into a greased and thick bottom pan. Spread the mixture and cover the pan.
- Use a thick towel to wrap this pan and keep it aside for the next 5-6 hours.
- After some time, use a hot knife to loosen the sides of the pan.
- With the help of a knife, cut the cake into small slices and decorate it with dry fruits.
- Transfer the pieces into an airtight container and store them in the fridge. Make sure to consume the cake in seven days.